Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Tours

Last night the majority of new students at Vesalius College all went out and we familiarized ourselves with Belgium’s nightlife! It was lots of fun and I was able to get to know more people who will be studying with me at Vesalius! All public places, especially the bars, unfortunately, allow smoking. I have smelt like smoke more times than I've wished to so far. It's a big trend here though. It seems that most people partake in the act. 


In Belgium they usually don’t go out until 10 or 11 and, as the bars don’t close at 2am like they do in American, they stay out very late. This didn’t become a problem for Ryan, Sam and I until we wanted to head home. The bars don’t close, but the metro system- our way home, shuts down from midnight to 6am. There is a night bus that runs until 2:30 or so but doesn’t go all the way to Tervuren, the town we live in. The options were 1) hang out until 6am and take the metro home, 2) attempt to walk home, 3) sleep on the street or 4) take a taxi. We finally ended up deciding to split a taxi, which, although it was expensive, ended up being a great decision!  Home late and up early for our tour of Brussels! Don’t worry; I fit in a 2-hour nap later on in the day!

Many Vesalius students and I had a 3-hour bus tour of Brussels, which was really great! We were able to see many places in Brussels that we weren’t aware existed which brought about ideas of places we should further explore in Brussels.

Brussels is wonderful! There are massive, old buildings with details that must’ve taken years to complete. All of the buildings and apartments really are very pretty and detailed. It’s enjoyable to drive around and just look even if you don’t know what you’re looking at. We did, however, have a tour guide who was speaking the entire time about buildings to look at and giving the history on them all. She was very knowledgeable, but after seeing many different places the information all runs together.

Along with the old buildings, there’s an unexpected place in Brussels called the “Manhattan area” which is, as you imagine, similar to Manhattan! Tall, glass skyscrapers fill this section of the city and it reminds me of American cities (such as Fort Madison, IA). There are many places to shop in the different parts of town and I’ve also heard of many different markets that take place throughout the week that I’m looking forward to wandering through at some point. People in Brussels are from all over the world, which is cool. You hear many different languages as you walk down the street. It’s exciting when you hear someone else speaking English. I’m tempted to say something to them for the simple reason that they’ll understand what I'm saying.

Today was also the first time that the sun has revealed itself to me since I’ve been here!! It was still fairly cloudy, but hey, partly sunny is better than overcast. At dinner tonight Ryan, Sam, Mechthild and I discussed politics and conspiracy theories. I realized my lack of knowledge about politics in Europe as well as America. I was mostly quite throughout this conversation. But, I am intrigued by conspiracy theories! We talked about the man on the moon one and the JFK one. Any other interesting ones that anyone knows of?

Over the past few days I’ve been more and more thankful that I have roommates. It’s been so so nice to have people to go to events with, plan traveling extravaganzas with and just know right away. Also, Sam has been dubbed the sandwich guy (he’s good at making them), the map guy (Ryan has been this guy, too) and getting peoples cell phone numbers guy so that we have a way to contact people. We went for a few days without cell phones and it’s really hard to try to get in touch with people if you don’t have one. We appreciate cell phones. Sam and Ryan are both great at making sure we’re all together when we’re walking along the street and before we leave places. If there’s ever a rude guy or any sense of danger then they’re close by. It’s made me feel much safer. (Dad, this little bit was especially for you!)

Tomorrow we might Mechthild, our host mom’s, son, Edward for lunch!







Trying to figure out our way home

Where are we? I don't know!


Waving down a taxi

This summer I was a nanny and one of the girls couldn't pronounce "Christy" but instead said Chi-chi! Because of this, I found this restaurant had some sentimental value.

1 comment:

  1. sounds fun! I cracked up when I read "Fort Madison, IA" in parenthesis after the big, glass buildings part. lol if anyone didn't know you they'd probably think you were serious and go look up old fort-maddy. haha you are too funny. good thing you have those guys with you, i'm sure you do feel safe!

    and smoking--icky. that would be one of the worst things I would presume. I would hate it.

    if you don't post again until after classes begin then good luck with your first day!! I'll wish you luck again later if you update again!

    ReplyDelete