Monday, January 17, 2011

Sunshine on Sunday


Before I came to Belgium, I knew that Europeans all dressed very nicely when in public and never wore sweat pants around in public or anything like that. I wondered if they went running outside because if so, they would most likely wear sports clothes. To anyone else who is wondering the same thing as I, I have an answer! They do go running outside in public and they do wear sports clothes. But it is only for this occasion. Also, the sports clothes are very nice, cute, matchy outfits. They aren’t some old sweats with paint on them and a baggie worn out shirt.

I just watched some German TV with my host mom (no subtitles, by the way)! I’ve heard that many people have learned English by watching TV that’s in English. I don’t think I would be able to do it! It must take some time. Perhaps by the end of the semester…

Yesterday was sunny! Cloudless! Blue skies! I’ve haven’t ever seen anything like it before (in the last 6 days at least)! It was lovely. And everyone else in Belgium agreed. Every park was filled with people walking around. Sam, Ryan and I went to a near by field/lake/woody area and threw the Frisbee around. We also found a palace! Apparently King Leopold II of Belgium owned the Congo (yes, just he, not Belgium) back in the day and he forced the people to collect ivory and rubber and diamonds and whatever else was valuable in the Congo. He became quite rich, as you might imagine, and the Congo became quite poor. So he built a palace/museum building in honor of the Congo and we happen to live right by it. We didn’t walk through it, but perhaps another day.

We also enjoyed a wonderful lunch of Belgian frites, or “French” fries and kabobs with Mechthild’s son, Edward/Ed/Eddy (I haven’t decided what to call him yet. He said any of those would do). They have like 15 sauces to choose from to dip your frites in. America isn't very creative. We have ketchup. That's it! We should get more sauces to put with our fries! They eat fries mostly with mayonnaise. Weird, right? It's actually pretty good! Anyways, Eddyward is a little older than us and very informed of the “in” places to go to in Brussels, which will be very helpful! It was an enjoyable afternoon, quite relaxing. Mechthild made lamb for dinner, which was delicious!  Today started school at Vesalius, but not for me! No classes on Mondays! I did have an interview, however. Went fine, I think. Now I wait to hear back!


Today on my tram ride a guy started asking me something about the tram! You know what that means! I look like a regular and like I know what's going on! I didn't really understand what he was asking because it was in French... but that's not the point. I told him I only spoke English, so he asked me again in English and I still didn't have an answer for him. But that's not the point either. The point is I look Belgian! Woop!


We heard this song playing the other day. Junior high flashback! Way to be up on cool songs, Belgium!

The frite eating process:

Unwrap



Stick your little fork into a frite

Dip frite in your sauce of choice

Enjoy!











1 comment:

  1. omg that video/song is hilarious! yes I remember that--just seeing the picture of the video I guessed what it was! haha awesome. lol that's so funny about the guy asking you about the tram--"I look belgian!" haha oh chrispyn (i put some of your names I call you together like you did for Eddyward :) ) You're lucky you don't have classes on Mondays! however it's MLK day so I didn't have class either :) skype me sometime missy! and lamb sounds grose, but I bet it was good! your host mom sounds like she's a good cook! Glad you had a sunny day for once. Vanessa and I made strawberry cupcakes with fresh strawberries in the batter, as well as a buttercream icing with fresh strawberries and then cream cheese filling--you're missing out girl! use this link to see them:

    http://laurenmarie32.blogspot.com/2011/01/fresh-strawberry-cupcakes-with-cream.html

    talk to you later!

    ReplyDelete