Friday, January 14, 2011

Observations

A few things I’ve found interesting about Belgium so far:
  1. When people are on trams they are emotionless. They usually just sit there with no expression reading or staring, unless they have a companion. Then, they talk some, but still, with little emotion. I am attempting to copy this trend of sorts so that I blend in better.
  2. It is always either raining or overcast. Because of this, my hair is oftentimes frizzy. But what's new there.
  3. There are these speed bump type things on the roads that are called “sleeping policemen” that cause divers to slow down.
  4. The cereal is in tin containers.
  5. Everyone drinks beer at any time of day.
  6. People are always dressed nicely.
  7. They like chai tea here, too! At least my host mom does.
  8. The heat isn’t ever turned up very high. The house is always chilly.
  9. There are sometimes about a 9-way intersection with a tram attempting to drive through as well. I’m glad I don’t have to driver here.
  10. Houses in the city are usually squished together so they’re touching; making it look as thought it is one big house with different colors and roofs. They’re also very tall and slim.
  11. Taxes are horrendous. Everything is expensive.
  12. Stores are only allowed to have sales 2 times a year- one of them being January! I hope to go shopping soon.
  13. Here, it’s not French fries… it’s Belgian fries. They are proud of their fries and despise it when we call them French fries. They eat their fries with mayonnaise.
  14. So far, the music in the bars has been old American music from like the 80’s or something. The YMCA and the Jitterbug have graced our ears a couple times.
  15. The time in Belgium goes from 12:00pm to 13:00, 14:00, etc. instead of 12:00pm to 1:00, 2:00, etc. It makes more sense because then you don’t have to write am or pm. However, I’m not used to telling time this way and so it always takes me a moment to process what the actual time is anytime it’s after 12:00pm. 
  16. It’s always very very dark in the morning. It’s hard to wake up and I find myself questioning if my clock is correct every morning.
  17. They have weird trees. I'm anxious to see what they will be like when they bloom!


I’ve met more Americans than Belgians since I’ve been here and so I don’t have much to say right now about that aspect of the culture.

I have yet to try the famous Belgium waffles or chocolate. I’m sure I’ll indulge myself soon enough, though.

I think I’m getting the hang of the tram system! I’ve successfully gotten to two internship interviews by myself via tram while wearing high heels! Yeah. I'll take the tram to school every day as well as to an internship should I receive one. When we get on a tram we usually have to switch to the metro and then make multiple transfers which can get tricky because you could get going on a metro north instead of the intended south, for example. I'm always so alert when I'm riding the tram or metro making sure I don't miss my stop and that I'm on the right one. Everyone else on board seems to have it down. They hardly pay attention but know exactly when to get off. I’m finally unpacked as well. I found notes from my family members as I unpacked. It was a lovely surprise!


See #10

See #17

See #10


See #17

See #3

See #3


5 comments:

  1. I love hearing all the details like this! Doesn't it snow there? Do you look different from Belgium people or do you fit right in? Don't get too stoned faced.. I like the smiles better! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol that's so funny that you said you're going to try and fit in by being emotionless on the tram. I can't imagine an emotionless christy haha. cereal in tin cans?? weird. what is the tax percentage? as for getting up early when it's still dark, I have to experience that as well with 8 am classes :( last semester I would open my shades to let the light in in the morning, but no such luck on the days I have 8 am class.

    That's funny they call them sleeping policemen. tgood luck in getting an internship! Hope you continue to blog often, too! miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lauren...I can't imagine you emotionless. You are always full of emotion! Beer for breakfast, eh? That kinda grosses me out a little! The cereal in tin cans is kind of cool...is there labels on them? Have you tried the Chai tea? Does it taste like Chai tea in America because I love chai tea? Sounds like things are going great! Good luck on getting an internship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on getting your internship! What type of work are you looking to do? Love ya, Aunt Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chai tea I brought from America that my mom and I made haha. So, yes, it tastes exactly like that! The cereal looks like normal cereal boxes (only in dutch, of course) but are tin cans. So, built in labels I guess!

    And internships in marketing/human resources type jobs... something related to my communications major!

    ReplyDelete