Thursday, January 20, 2011

Boots!

I got an internship! It’s with a company called Accessible Art. It seems like a fun company to work for. Having an internship means I get to drop a class, which means……… I only have class Tuesdays and Thursdays! I wish every semester was like this one. I have class from 8:30 – 11:30 on Tuesday and Thursday and then again on Thursdays from 1:30 – 4:30.

Before I came to study at Vesalius College I was unaware that the college is actually only two buildings! Students oftentimes have classes in rooms at University of Brussels which is just accoss the street. I saw a map of campus before I left America and thought that all of the buildings were Vesalius buildings, but I was quite mistaken. Nevertheless, I have class in rooms so that’s all that matters.

Yesterday Mechthild and I went shopping at the mall. I bought a scarf and that was all. I was slightly disappointed in myself, but also proud that I didn’t go crazy just because I was in Europe! As I was walking around I noticed that nearly every woman was wearing tall leather boots (not Uggs). Old women, young women, even 7-year old girls! Short women, tall women, women wearing jeans, women wearing stockings, women wearing dresses and skirts. I was wearing my usual flats and feeling quite out of place. I decided I’d start perusing the boot section. There were so many different colors and styles and heel sizes I couldn’t decide what I liked and what I didn’t. I found that most were all over 100 euro! I did decide that that was not the price I wanted to pay. I have hope that I can find a pair I like for much cheaper. If you have any boot stores you like I’m open for suggestions!

I taught Ryan and Sam a favorite family card game, “nerts.” They have caught on quickly and I think they have enjoyed playing. After playing a few rounds last night, Ryan and I spent about 20 minutes trying to teach Sam how to shuffle cards (including the bridge)! He was just so tense when he tried to shuffle! It was pretty amusing. He’s improving with every shuffle though!

On long tram rides to and from school I’ve been able to observe Belgians more. When Belgians greet each other they kiss one another on the cheek/air are type thing. This greeting seems as natural and comfortable as our “Hey, how’s it goin’?” The very few times I’ve been involved in this greeting I have been uncertain of everything about it. Which way do I go? How close do I get? Is there a hug thing involved too? For now, I still am not quite sure. I’m sure I’ll learn. I actually don’t experience the kiss hello often because I am mostly around Americans.

A couple of other things I’ve noticed while in Belgium are that for one, there are no drinking fountains. I have yet to see one. Also, when you go into a restaurant that's similar to a Starbucks or Subway, you don’t pay before you eat, but instead afterwards. This, I think, is very trusting of them. It would be very easy to eat and simply walk out as the workers are often in the back room and not present while you’re eating. This is just the way it is done, I suppose.

Sam, Ryan and I are headed to Amsterdam for the weekend! We’re excited for our first traveling outside of Belgium!

One of the cats, Blair, on one of his favorite seats in the house



Look at the intensity in that shuffle!


Ryan showing us how to shuffle with "swagga" 

3 comments:

  1. Christy,
    Congrats on your internship! What exactly will you be doing in this art place? Maybe first I should ask what you are majoring in and that may answer my first question. I so enjoy reading your blog and I make sure and read it at least every couple of days to see what's new! Be safe & love ya, Aunt Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet post chris! I am confused though about the restaurant thing--that's what we do here. Say we go to the lovely chuong restaraunt; I order my normal sesame chicken, I eat it, and then I pay. you said in Belgium they don't pay before they eat, well neither do we. Unless say you're at McDonald's, or Wendy's, Panera, basically any fast food place where you're not sitting down. Is that the type of restaurant you were referring to? I know McDonald's is pretty classy so I would call it a restaurant :) :)

    That's so expensive for the boots! hope you find some not so pricey. And the kiss cheek/air thing would be super awkward--what if you both leaned the same way??? AWKWARRRRRD! have fun in Amsterdam! be safe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Diane! Well I'm not 100% sure yet, but I'll keep you posted haha! I'm majoring in Communications. I'm glad you enjoy the blog :)

    Lauren, I added examples to kind of help explain. Later I was thinking about what I said and realized it didn't really make sense. But it's certain restaurants that you would usually pay for upfront that you don't pay for until after you're done eating here. Not fancy sit down restaurants.

    ReplyDelete