Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Brief Update

It’s lovely here.
It’s warm and sunny and something new blooms every day.
I love spring.

I went to the Natural History Museum.
There were dinosaurs that were actually found in Belgium.
We saw a lot of animals that were stuffed.
They had lots of interactive, touch screen things, mostly for children I think.
But Alison and I enjoyed the interactive things, too.
There are a lot of parks throughout Brussels.
We sat in one that had two guys playing guitar and singing “Sweet Home Alabama”.

I ate real sushi (not sushi from the ISU Dining Center).
I watched a tango competition in the Grand Place.
The dancers were from Latin American, the orchestra (they were so amazing) was from Russia, the audience was probably mostly from Belgium and then lady who introduced everything spoke in English.
We danced the salsa.
Let me rephrase… we tried to dance the salsa.
I want to learn how now.
It looks like so much fun.

I have a 15-page paper, 3-page research paper and a 3,000 word paper due after spring break.
Some progress has been made.

I found a website that lets you watch movies and TV shows for free.
It's my favorite.

My friend was in a bike accident and had to have surgery.
She’s okay, but her host family and roommates aren’t at home.
I’ve visited her a lot to help her out and keep her company.
My other friend had hemorrhoids.
I didn’t know how to help.
My other friend was sick with the flu.
She’s better now.

One day I went into 4 H&M’s in about 2 hours.
I bought something from each one I went into.
I love that store.

I went to Liege, Belgium.
There’s not too much to do or see there.
What was supposed to be a one-hour train ride turned into a 4-hour train ride.
Kelly and I got free Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream… twice.
We met people who were hitchhiking from England to Poland for charity. 
They were stuck in Belgium.
Primark. We say pry-mark, they say pre-mark. Nobody understood where we wanted to go.
It was sunny, cloudy, sunny, rainy and then it hailed.
We made it back to Brussels in an hour.

I’ll be in Italy in less than 24 hours.
I’m not completely packed.
How do you pack 10 days worth of stuff into a small carry-on?
Roll each item of clothing up as small as you can and put a rubber band around it.
I have a ticket home from Greece, now.
Pray for great weather and safety, please.
Happy Easter!

2 comments:

  1. "My other friend had hemorrhoids.
    I didn’t know how to help." haha. I wouldn't know how to help in that situation either. I'm glad I have an update on your trip! I don't think there's a single H&M in Iowa, much less 4. Enjoy Italy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your "brief" update was pretty long! haha I'm sorry about all of your friends being sick--especially the one who got in a bike accident. All of those papers you have to write sound awful. And is that website for watching TV Shows and movies for free called Hulu by chance? Where you been girl? (Meaning, hulu has been around for a while. you can watch new episodes of stuff online that you won't be able to see on the tv in belgium! yay!)

    are you trying to save money by only having a carry-on? I would definitely bring a suitcase. Have fun! Sounds like a blast! I thought of something to do in Rome--go to the top where you can see everything. It's like the seven hills or something? you remember? it's where we took a bunch of pics...oh wait we always took a bunch of pics haha but it's where we took the jumping pictures off the ledge and the stairs with moss and grass growing around it. Be safe my dear and I will pray for great weather and safety for you! Happy Easter to you too!

    ReplyDelete